Purpose & Mission
- Engage in statewide efforts to support and promote its members to the highest levels of law firm, government, academic, community, corporate positions and the judiciary.
- Endorse qualified female attorneys for appointments to the state and federal judiciary.
- Foster leadership among its membership through promoting professional activities, mentoring, educational programs, networking functions and to generally promote visibility of its membership.
- Engage in statewide efforts designed to retain women in the legal profession and to assist in, and collaborate with, nationwide efforts to retain women in the legal profession, including through providing education to its membership, corporations, government, the judiciary, law firms, other memberships, associations and/or other organizations, and law school students, particularly on the evolving “Best Practices” geared toward retention of women in the legal profession in New Jersey.
- Create Task Forces to study and advise the membership on developments affecting the legal status of women, with a focus on gender equity challenges, including those within the legal profession. NJWLA will create a Gender Equity Task Force to compile, analyze and report on statistics, cases and legislation affecting women’s advancement in society and in the legal profession specifically, including detailed review of impediments to advancement, such as “glass ceiling,” “maternal wall,” “daughter track,” pregnancy, caregiver discrimination, and sexual harassment legal barriers. NJWLA will also create a Women of Color Gender Equity Task Force that will compile, analyze and report on statistics, cases and legislation affecting the advancement of women of color in society and in the legal profession, including detailed review of impediments to advancement, with a focus on the additional racial and ethnic barriers that women of color in the legal profession face.
- Provide a voice for its members through local, state and federal legislative bodies and to support, report on, and submit testimony on legislation (including proposed and/or pending legislation) of importance to women, and to maintain a close liaison with other Bar Associations, the judiciary and other statewide and national organizations which address or promote issues important to NJWLA.
- Play an active mentoring role by encouraging young women to attend law school, and fostering early leadership skills in women by having members serve as mentors to female law students and college students considering entering the practice of law.
- Engage in efforts to educate the community about gender equity concerns and issues which fall within the scope of NJWLA’s mission.
Women Leaders Profile: Lynne Anderson
Women Leaders Profile: Karen Wachs
Karen S. Wachs, is Counsel in Schwartz Simon Edelstein & Celso’s Litigation Department. Ms. Wachs has more than 25 years experience providing representation in a variety of litigation and transactional matters including commercial litigation, foreclosures, collections, community association law, real estate disputes and business formations. Ms. Wachs has a diverse background and experience in litigation and other business transactional matters including collections, contracts, regulatory compliance and real estate. This representation spans both corporate entities, small to mid-sized businesses and individuals. She has handled matters for financial institutions on issues of consumer financial services, asset recovery, collections and creditors rights. She has garnered a strong background in the areas of foreclosures, bankruptcy, litigation, credit and collections. In addition Ms. Wachs has also managed a variety of real estate related transactions including landlord/tenant issues, community association law, purchase and leasing agreements and coop conversions. Curently Ms. Wachs is a member of the New Jersey New Jersey State Bar Association and she serves on the Board of Directors of the NJ Women Lawyer’s Association.
Ms. Wachs received her J.D. from George Washington University, and is currently licensed to practice in four states including, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia.
Gibbons P.C. Profile
With 230 attorneys, Gibbons is a leading law firm in New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, and Delaware, ranked among the nation’s top 200 firms by The American Lawyer. Gibbons is one of only 20 law firms nationwide to be named to the National Law Journal's inaugural "Midsize Hot List," which recognized firms with fewer than 300 lawyers that have found innovative ways to position themselves and demonstrated creativity and success in recruiting and retaining top talent, developing practice areas, managing operations, and generally navigating the economic downturn more effectively than many larger firms.
A 2009 winner of the prestigious Catalyst Award for its innovative Women’s Initiative, Gibbons is ranked one of the top 50 firms nationwide for working women by Working Mother magazine and among the top 100 for diversity by MultiCultural Law magazine, and has earned the Gold Standard Certification by the Women In Law Empowerment Forum. The firm has also been recognized among the Best Places to Work in America by the Society for Human Resource Management and Great Place to Work Institute, as well as in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania by NJBIZ, Crain's New York Business, Philadelphia Business Journal, and Central Penn Business Journal.
Women Leaders Profile: Christine Amalfe
Christine Amalfe chairs the Gibbons Employment & Labor Law Department and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. She is a cofounder of the Catalyst Award winning Gibbons Women’s Initiative, which extends opportunities for mentoring and networking of women professionals.
Ms. Amalfe is a member of the New Jersey Council on Gender Parity in Labor and Education and was named to the New Jersey State Bar Task Force on Work-Life Balance. She is also a member of the Board of the NAWL Foundation and, is a Trustee of the Women in the Profession Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
Navigant Consulting, Inc. Profile
Navigant (NYSE: NCI) is a specialized, global expert services firm dedicated to assisting clients in creating and protecting value in the face of critical business risks and opportunities. Through senior level engagement with clients, Navigant professionals combine technical expertise in Disputes and Investigations, Economics, Financial Advisory and Management Consulting, with business pragmatism in the highly regulated Construction, Energy, Financial Services and Healthcare industries to support clients in addressing their most critical business needs.
Women Leaders Profile: Julie Howard
Julie Howard is the Chief Executive Officer and Member of the Board of Directors of Navigant Consulting, Inc. (NYSE: NCI). As CEO, Ms. Howard is responsible for the development and implementation of the Company’s long-‐term strategy and effective prioritization of resource allocation to realize long-‐term shareholder value. Ms. Howard is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance. She has also continued her educational pursuits via completion of several Harvard Business School Executive Education programs. Ms. Howard is a champion of women’s leadership development and is a founding member of the Women’s Leadership and Mentoring Alliance (WLMA).